You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2015 10:06 am  #1

Cam Bearing R&R labor charges ??

Not sure if this is the right forum for this. I had a dealership customer send me a GM 6.0 aluminum truck block today to replace the camshaft bearings.  Just for grins I figured I would try to see if anyone actually lists a labor charge for this.  I looked in Shopkey and sure enough under "Engine R & R and overhaul" it shows additional time to be added to the base time.  The additional labor shown is .3 hours per camshaft bearing. This is 1.5 hours total.  Not sure about your area, but around here most dealers and independent shops are well over $100 per hour. So that should be $150 to replace the five cam bearings. 

It would be interesting to see how this compares to what you are charging for that job.  I know I am not anywhere near that much, but I am about to go up

Last edited by MrBill (3/16/2015 10:07 am)

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

3/16/2015 11:08 am  #2

Re: Cam Bearing R&R labor charges ??

I don't know what state you are in but here in Louisiana there is a automotive shop not far from me still doing that for $40. and has a waiting list for 6-9 months if some one brings him anything no one can compete with his pricesMy self i don't do much automotive work mostly heavy diesel but try and average labor @ $125. per hr for machine time and general labor @ $90 we just bought a CNC Rottler and will charge $150 per hr to start with

3/16/2015 11:17 am  #3

Ahebert wrote:

I don't know what state you are in but here in Louisiana there is a automotive shop not far from me still doing that for $40.

Geeeze

Ahebert wrote:

but try and average labor @ $125. per hr for machine time

I have been shooting for $100 but am trying to creep it up some.  I have also been paying a lot of attention to see exactly how long some of the operations take us to do. 

Have fun with your new toys

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

4/19/2015 7:10 pm  #4

Well I may as well add my 2 cents worth here.
We charge $30.00 to install cam bearings if we clean the the block (we charge $75.00 to clean a block).
If the customer does not want the block cleaned, we charge $50.00

5/11/2015 12:51 pm  #5

LSAMS wrote:

We charge $30.00 to install cam bearings if we clean the the block

How long does it take you to install the average set ?  Do you check the with a cam to make sure it turns freely or just slam them in and let it go ?  Floor to floor, if everything goes right I cant see it taking a second less than 30 minutes. At $100 per hour that is $50  Then if you have to size a couple to get the cam to turn the time goes up. 

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

6/02/2015 10:45 pm  #6

MrBill wrote:

LSAMS wrote:

We charge $30.00 to install cam bearings if we clean the the block

How long does it take you to install the average set ?  Do you check the with a cam to make sure it turns freely or just slam them in and let it go ?  Floor to floor, if everything goes right I cant see it taking a second less than 30 minutes. At $100 per hour that is $50  Then if you have to size a couple to get the cam to turn the time goes up. 

When you say size bearings what are you using to do that??
I have some cams machined to cut a small amount out of a regular babbit baering but what about the HP coated bearings??Some blocks are just naturally tight at times and find the need to grind the cam journals to make the cam turn correctly with a normal amount of clearance. Some BBFord engines and the older GM sm blks are the one I see that are trouble some

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

6/03/2015 7:26 am  #7

Dave Conway wrote:

When you say size bearings what are you using to do that??

Dave,
 We have a couple of old cams that I have "made" into reamers. We also use an old school bearing scraper a lot of times.  So far I have been fortunate with the coated bearings and have not had to "fit" any of them. 

Last edited by MrBill (6/03/2015 7:26 am)

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

8/02/2015 2:35 pm  #8

Just had a problem this week with a set of coated Duro Bond F18T bearings. Put them in try cam second one is tight. Check the cam for bend had .0015 got that to .0003 try agine still tight. Measure cam then bearing Neg .003 clearance pull the bearing out check housing bore right on size put the bearing on the cam will not even go on. So now i have to contac duro Bond and get a replacement bearing for it. Oh also i thought i put the wrong one in part# is for that postion.

8/03/2015 2:07 pm  #9

Did you check the cam bore alignment> I have seen this be an issue on lots of applications but never seen a tight bearing out of the box.
I do check the bearing ID against the ID of the bore and do the math for clearance or interfearance before installing.I got stuck on this one time and had to complain about it and as it turned out I was right but the delay for a replacement set was not worth the wait and time and trouble..
I try to keep a double set of bearings when doing race stuff just so I don't get stuck in this situation but it seems that checking all parts has now just become part of a build and stops issues from halting work when started.
Nothing sucks more then having to wait for replacements

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

8/03/2015 8:13 pm  #10

Yup checked every thing put the new one in today perfect no problems. cam bearing is made wrong. Called Duro Bond and they are sending a replacement bearing to me.

Board footera