You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2022 12:40 pm  #1

False Guide Interference .002"???

Hi Guys;
  New member, experienced machinist just starting head work here.
  I tried driving in a false guide in a Caterpillar head, and killed it.
  The guide is 3" long and .5015" diameter OD, 3/8" bore.   
   Really, .0015" interference?  I did ream to .500" and she is right in there...
  I am a bit scared of the air-hammer... but if that is what it takes.. I'll go with it. 
  I had made an aluminum pilot punch and was using a 3# hammer. A lot like work.
   Also, is it better to drive from the top, like I did, or should I go from inside the bowl?
  My many thanks!
  Mark 

Last edited by Snowshooze (1/04/2022 12:47 pm)

1/04/2022 8:47 pm  #2

Re: False Guide Interference .002"???

Well...
  I went to the hardware store, bought up all their air chisel bits...
 Put one in my lathe, made a shouldered driver...
  It worked fine. 
  No longer ascart.
  Thanks,
 Mark

1/09/2022 11:15 am  #3

Re: False Guide Interference .002"???

Regis and goodson sells guide install tools to use w/ air drivers we use them on cat. cummins. detroit we also will put some heads in the press and push them in that way we do a lot of diesel heads

Board footera