You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/16/2018 10:29 am  #1

Moving Forward

Hi Everyone,

My name is Rob Munro and I look after technical development here at AERA. I wanted to reach out and thank you for the time you put in to help out other fellow engine builders on this forum. After many lengthy discussions internally on how we could deliver a better experience to our forum users, we are hoping that the move over to AERA's social media sites will help. We are not going to delete the forum in any way as it is a tool that does serve a purpose, but rather help our frequent users make the transition to our other sites that see a larger volume of engine building followers. We feel that having this kind of exposure to some of your questions and concerns, will give you a better experience all around.
If any of you need some assistance on where to find us or how to use our other social media platforms, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at rob@aera.org or you can call 888-324-2372 Ext. 217
​Networking is critical as our industry is very specialized and unique, thanks again for your help and I look forward to seeing you over on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

5/29/2018 2:02 am  #2

Re: Moving Forward

One of the biggest issues is not everyone has the patience for face book and other social media stuff when searching for information.
I believe that people go to a trusted site and face book is far from secure but where they are most likely to obtain the needed information for their build or problem rather then the arm chair engine pro's that seem to litter facebook and other social media sites that really have no idea what a muffler bearing really is.

But as I see it while there is a lot of sites that have lots of consistent  followers they are for the most part well used by 1000's of users every day and no BS ad's for crap we don't need but just good info and help.

My favorite site for details ed info is Speed Talk. It has many contributors and dedicated engine builders that support the site in a way this site was never promoted.
I realize that there needs to be a dedicated staff to deal with the site and provide answers to questions part information etc etc etc but I don't see AERA ever doing that even the facebook deal which it seems not just anyone can join as I have looked to the ad a friend icon and do not see it anywhere making it very just another frustrating waste of time on facebook for an hour looking for it.

These things should be simpler and in big bold icons to direct people to where they need to go but even like most millenials that are addicted to these type of social media its harder for the old school guys trying to convert but IMO face book is nothing like a dedicated web site for subjective chat specific to what a guy is looking for.

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

5/29/2018 4:38 pm  #3

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your feedback.

One thing to keep in mind is that we are not closing the forum, you are more than welcome to still post about information that you need or want to share with other engine builders, the only down side is that your audience is getting limited and for this reason we are suggesting change.

There are a few really good dedicated Facebook group sites like Engine Modifications 2.0 that are invite only that host high end professionals trying to help others out. This particular one is far from armchair engine pros and is for the serious builder only.

​For those engine builders that are looking for that next level of security and service, AERA membership allows you unlimited direct access to our Tech Services Department with Email, Phone, Fax, and PROSIS PRO direct specification request. Not only do we send engine specification information, but we also get daily requests that are business related questions, machine tooling and repair, employment opportunities, and education and training.

AERA appreciates your input, networking is a key component to our industries future success.

5/30/2018 5:06 am  #4

Rob,
  I have to agree with Dave.  I am a regular Facebook user but it is not really conducive to have a technical discussion.  I have started to use Speedtalk but I really feel that the AERA has not tried at all to get users to these forums.  It is a shame because they could be a big help. 

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

6/02/2018 5:59 pm  #5

MrBill wrote:

Rob,
  I have to agree with Dave.  I am a regular Facebook user but it is not really conducive to have a technical discussion.  I have started to use Speedtalk but I really feel that the AERA has not tried at all to get users to these forums.  It is a shame because they could be a big help. 

So that was you on ST!! I thought it was lol
But further to what I said before there is no rhyme or reason to how any face book type discussion is laid out and very hard to follow as there is so many random posts not related to specific discussions or topics 
As we have said before AERA has not done enough to even scratch the surface to get this site promoted to make it what it was hoped to be in the beginning 

If the discussion forums are templated after others like Speed Talk we may be able to improve this sites use.
That said has anyone even considered talking with Don regarding a link to ST as there are many very knowledgeable guys that post there daily that would consider helping the regular guys with machining tips. 
It may even boost membership and have past members rejoin if it shows the AERA really cares and wants to make more info available

Last edited by Dave Conway (6/02/2018 6:02 pm)

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

Board footera