You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/27/2018 10:00 am  #1

Anyone have a "Boss" valve seal remover ?

Any of you guys happen to have bought one of these ?  

http://www.tooltechsystems.com/boss_extractor.html

We are having fits lately trying to get some of the smaller top hat seals off/  Its like they are almost welded to the guides.  This tool looks promising but would love to have some feedback before pulling the trigger on it.

Thanks,
Mr Bill

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

4/27/2018 4:47 pm  #2

Re: Anyone have a "Boss" valve seal remover ?

Yes I have one set but it has several different sized pullers or adapters depending on the seal OD and guide OD.
I got it for what I thought would be very useful tool for a change. Then for some reason I got a 2nd set but never really needed it more then a couple times
It has 6 different puller adapters and the slide hammer adapter they screw on to.

I love it for hard to reach seals as it just hooks under the seal and goes around the guide and a few wacks and off they come.

As mentioned I have 2 sets so if you really are serious about a set I would make you a hell of a deal as I got them about 6-7 years ago.
I think Regis sold them when they were 1st on the shop scene 

Dave C

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

4/27/2018 5:19 pm  #3

I checked them out and there is a larger set they sell under the same brand name 
If you check out the Boss valve stem removal tool T 400 you will see what it looks like.

Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

4/27/2018 7:46 pm  #4

Dave,
 The one I am looking at is for the "top hat" type seals, not the normal ones that you can get under.  I dont have an issue with those.  I have two Goodson pullers that work fine on them.  This is the one I am looking at:

http://www.tooltechsystems.com/boss_extractor.html

Most of the larger top hat seals come off pretty easy with the pliers type of puller but the ones that Kia / Hyundai use are almost impossible to get off.  I have been getting a couple of these heads a week from the dealers and it sometimes takes 45 minutes with two people just to get the darn seals off.

Last edited by MrBill (4/27/2018 7:46 pm)

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

4/28/2018 12:33 am  #5

I use a small tip on a propane torch and heat those seals up till the rubber melts then grab them and wiggle a bit and pull them off.
It is a little bit smelly and a bit smokey but they come right off and it don't hurt the guide any.
There is some others that just will not pull off either and they get the same treatment.
but yes those top hat style seals can be very hard to get off. I had a similat issue with some late model hemi heads and they just fell off with a bit of heat applied to the seal. 

Last edited by Dave Conway (4/28/2018 12:34 am)

Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

4/28/2018 1:38 pm  #6

Dave,
 Thanks. We thought about firing up the torch but really hate to do that except as last resort.  Guess I might give it a try on Monday and see what happens.  Seems like they are making it harder and harder to do this stuff

Bill

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

5/02/2018 2:27 pm  #7

Most times I use some seal plyers and just heat them and they come right off faster then screwing with other pullers.
Which is the reason I have never used the other set I have now lol

Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

5/11/2018 5:04 pm  #8

Dave Conway wrote:

Most times I use some seal plyers and just heat them and they come right off faster then screwing with other pullers.
Which is the reason I have never used the other set I have now lol

Dave,
 Just wanted to let you know that did the trick.  

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

5/13/2018 4:50 pm  #9

No worries!!
Its funny how just the basic stuff gets the job done.But if we just stuck to basic's we would not have a tool box you need a tractor trailer to move

Glad to help

Dave

Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

6/07/2018 8:19 am  #10

competi-tech wrote:

What i used is a strip nut socket that you can buy everywhere, you Knock it around the seal and use a small 3/8 air gun and spun the seal around, no damage , no heat, try it , i use it on every hard to remove boss seals..Sylvain.

Interesting. Never thought about that and I even have a set of those sockets   I will give it a try next time.

Thanks !

Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

Board footera