You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/24/2017 9:09 am  #1

Thank you to all who voted for my engine!

Hello my engine building associates!

The results are in! My entry was in the Top 100 overall (of 868) and the Top 5 in the Aerospace and Defense category (of 115). The judging panel included 76 experts in their field from around the world. Though winning is always gratifying, I’m happy with the result. Thank you to all who voted!

Since entering the contest, ​I've made a number of refinements in the design in order to address comments from my consultant, more tightly focus on the aviation market (because it will be one of the last impacted by battery electric tech and even uncertified aviation engines sell for a premium), and reduce prototype cost and risk. The 4.5" diameter 3" thick prototype weighing 3 lb will have 8 cylinders (each producing 6 power strokes per revolution) displacing 50cc and produce 3.6 HP (2.7 kW) with 7.2 lb-ft (9.8 Nm) at 2,626 RPM using Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) with 55% efficiency at altitudes up to 15,000 feet. The low RPM was chosen to allow direct drive of efficient propellers without the need for a transmission/reduction gear.

​I plan to prototype the engine using the Tormach PCNC 440 or 770 then conduct a number of critical experiments followed by demonstration and performance on the ground. I will then install the engine on a commercially available RC model of the RQ-7 drone at altitude (Google "2000 mm RQ-7 RC​").

Once again, thanks to all who voted for me. If nothing else, the results lifted my spirits in the long slog toward realization of the design!

​Rod

https://contest.techbriefs.com/2017/entries/aerospace-and-defense/8090-0628-155137-hybrid-miller-cycle-rotary-hcci-engine-for-rq-7-class-drones

Last edited by RodRico (11/26/2017 10:41 am)

High Performance HCCI Rotary Engine Designer

Board footera