You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/02/2017 6:30 pm  #1

Finding correct overstroke for honing

I've had some issues recently with finding the correct overstroke when honing with out getting a barrel shaped cylinder. I usually just find the length of bore and add 1.00" and sometimes it works, sometimes not. I'm a little confused. Maybe be difference in block materials, possible difference in shim setup on stones, brass and delrin. Just looking for opinions and advice, Thanks. 

Also new member here. 

11/04/2017 12:52 am  #2

Re: Finding correct overstroke for honing

the 1st thing to know is what machine are you using??? Or are you hand honing??
More importantly what stones are you using for the various honing steps during the sizing process??
There is several different things that influence bore shape when honing spindle speed number of strokes per minute and stone hardness V material hardness and type. Also what honing oil are you using in the process??

All of the above can affect the shape of the bore.
let me know I am glad to point you in the right direction.

Dave C

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

11/21/2017 10:38 am  #3

Re: Finding correct overstroke for honing

AAron,
 Way to many variables to just have a formula in my opinion.  Some blocks just act better than others. Some need a lot at the top, others as much as you can get on the bottom.  After a while you get to know the more common ones but it is still trial and error most of the time.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

Board footera