You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/16/2017 2:49 pm  #1

Soda Blasting... Anyone use it to clean heads, blocks?

As title says, Anyone using soda blasting on heads and blocks?   If so how is that working out for you?

Randy

2/20/2017 7:24 pm  #2

Re: Soda Blasting... Anyone use it to clean heads, blocks?

Not yet but seriously thinking about it for aluminum heads.  I glass bead a lot of them and spend way too much time making sure that I get every single piece of media out of them.  Soda looks like the way to go because it rinses with water and if a little bit stays behind it supposedly wont hurt anything.  Seems like 80% of the heads I see are aluminum and it is taking way too long to clean them  

These guys are soda blasting marine outboard stuff. I have spoken to them and they seem to be very happy with it.  Thought about sending them a bare head just to see what the results are.
http://www.tonimarine.com/

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

2/28/2017 10:36 pm  #3

I gave a machine a test drive for a couple weeks but I was not that impressed when it came to dirty heads.
Took too long to clean some stuff other not so much.

I have been playing with chemicals for the jet wash and have it down to a couple machine cycles and 99% of the crud is off.
Iron blocks are tough as the soda crystals do not have the strength to blast off rust.
Walnut shell media does a vert good job and not expensive for iron blocks.

I think it comes down to nozzle size and how much air you can supply.
The general purpose nozzle that comes with the machine seems too small but when I tried a larger tip it was no better with soda.

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

4/28/2017 5:56 am  #4

Dave Conway wrote:

I gave a machine a test drive for a couple weeks.

Mind if I ask who's machine you tried ?

I have an oven and shot blaster for cast iron, that is the only way to go for that. Definitely will spoil you on cast iron.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

5/02/2017 10:50 am  #5

Sorry Bill I did not see your question post.
I will check the manufactures name later today and post it later this afternoon

Dave C

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

6/19/2017 6:33 pm  #6

If you are cleaning aluminum or cast iron get with ZEP chemicals they have some darn good stuff to clean with have there product in my hot vat and very well satisified @ half of the required strength

10/03/2017 9:18 am  #7

We are looking at a dry ice blaster, we are doing almost strictly aluminum, anyone ever try one of these dri ice blasters?
Paul Nelson

Board footera