You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/03/2016 10:27 am  #1

Cylinder Hone Stone Chatter

Hello Everyone,We are experiencing a severe case of stone chatter on our honing machine!We use a Peterson Power Stroke cylinder hone.It has a Delipena friction feed and a Sunnen stone holder head.We use genuine Sunnen hone stones (the AN series)It seems the stone is wearing faster than the guide. This problem started about 1 year ago.I have the same machinist using the machine for 10 years. We have always used Regis Honing oil.I bought a New friction feed and hone head assembly about 9 months ago thinking that might be the issue.We still have the same problem.   My guy will trim the stone guide a few thousands and the problem goes away for 1 or 2 cylinders, then the chatter is right back.  It starts with a squeal then changes to light chatter then a severe chatter.I don't think it is a machine issue or an operator issue.I contacted Sunnen and they feel I should change to Sunnen Hone Oil.I am going to do that this next week.However I was just curious if any of you have experienced this problem.I just think it is odd that we have used Regis Hone Oil and Sunnen stones for 18 years and the problem just started this last year or so. Sunnen says they have not changed the stone material. Regis says they have not changed the oil.Any ideas?Thanks, Larry 

4/13/2016 11:34 am  #2

Re: Cylinder Hone Stone Chatter

Larry,
 I have not had time to look at the forums much lately and just came across this.  I have had the same problem for a couple of years now.  I use Sunnen honing oil and Sunnen stones.  I agree with you that it has something to do with the guide shoes not wearing right.  I can take them out and hit them on my small belt sander and everything will be fine for a while. It also seems to make the actual stones wear unevenly.  I will pull the stones and swap them from side to side every other cylinder or so, seems to help a little. 
I dont know if they changed the material due to environmental issues but it is a problem.  Seems like the AN300 stones are the worse ones.  Glad to see I am not the only one seeing this.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

4/15/2016 4:47 pm  #3

I have had that issue years ago when using the AN style stones.I found some stones to be too soft and wear faster then the shoes did.
I have seen a difference in the industrial numbers that Sunnen has now gone to where the shoes wear much faster compared to the older type AN stones.
I now only use the AN hone in my rod shop's for small bore jugs.but use the same industrial number stones.

Sunnen should be able to give you the industrial number conversion for what you currently use and in lots of cases there is a better stone choice either softer or harder depending on the application.
as an example the common CK-10 or CV-616 stones like a EHU 525 set has a softer cousin in the EHU 518 which gives the same finish but is for much harder blocks. The new industrial stones are listed the same way.

Hope it helps

Dave

Last edited by Dave Conway (4/15/2016 4:48 pm)

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

4/17/2016 5:13 pm  #4

Thanks Bill and Dave for your input. ​I have been in contact with Sunnen and my rep is working with me on this problem.  Hopefully he will come up with a solution. I'll let you know as soon as I get it figured out! 

8/02/2016 9:29 am  #5

Notice the same issue here, using the Sunnen stones.  industrial numbers.  same as an501-71.  ​Probably a change in material Due to EPA regulations ( tongue in cheek)

9/11/2016 6:40 pm  #6

The last few sets I have bought seem to be working fine.  Who knows ?

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

Board footera