You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/01/2015 8:12 pm  #1

Boring Equipment

Hello everyone,
I'm in the market for new boring and honing equipment and want input from fellow members.
I've used a FN Kwik Way boring bore on a  048 Kwik Way Stand for 17 years, along with a Peterson Power Stroke honing machine.
I want to upgrade to something more updated as well as more accurate and user freindly.
What are you guys using?
I want something that doesn't take a professor to operate. It needs to be versatile, as we do many different blocks.
I want it to be quick to set up.
Any suggestions?

2/02/2015 12:33 am  #2

Re: Boring Equipment

Hi Larry Its been a while for you alright.

Are you thinking about financing a new machine or looking for a quality rebuilt hone like a Sunnen or Rottler.

I personally use a Sunnen CV-616 had it for years and is the most cost affective machine other then a computer controled machine like a Rottler or the SV-10 sunnen. Both use diamond abrasives and do require some programing but they are nice machines once they are set up and they have a memory as well so that takes the guess work out of using them.
I looked at both but just could not bring myself to spend that kind of money when my current machine was going strong
As for a boring machine that will depend on how many blocks a month you bore and hone.
Dave

Last edited by Dave Conway (2/02/2015 12:37 am)

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

4/19/2015 7:19 pm  #3

Hello Dave,
Sorry I haven't responded to this sooner.  I am thinking of financing some new equipment.
We do 5 to 8 blocks per day on average.  I plan on working 5 more years before retiring or at least stepping down and let someone else take over. So the investment needs to be such that will help me reach that goal.

Last edited by LSAMS (12/24/2016 5:16 pm)

5/20/2015 4:56 pm  #4

Diamonds are your best friend.

Rottler has machines that will do the job fast and straight. User friendly water coolant and low consumable costs compared to vitrified stones such as sunnen.

There is lots of rebuilt Sunnen machines on the market as well. I use a CV-616 and have had no issues to date. Easy to get parts and supplies for and the industrial numbered stones give way more options then the regular automotive numbers do for the best finishes possible.

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

5/22/2015 11:00 am  #5

I used a Sunnen CV-616 machine back in 1975 its the industrial model. Found one just laying in a warehouse only used to hone a few hyd tubes it was like new and worked great.
Mike 

3/09/2016 4:04 pm  #6

We are also looking for boring and honing equipment for our machine shop. We build diesel and gasoline engines. Please contact us asap ! Our website url is http://www.bestjapaneseengines.com/

Board footera