You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2016 6:14 am  #1

Ultrasonic cleaners ? Anyone using one ?

Hey guys,

I am trying to improve productivity and one thing that I spend a lot of time on is cleaning the many parts in modern OHC cylinder heads.  Right now I soak everything in a small pail using the aqueous solution in one of my Safety Kleen parts washers. Then I glass bead the valves and string the rest of the parts on a rod and run them through my spray washer. This does a decent job but is pretty time consuming.

So I have been thinking about Ultrasonic cleaners and wondering how they really work.  Is anyone using one for these types of parts and maybe even for complete aluminum heads ?  Any thoughts ?

Thanks,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

1/16/2016 9:22 am  #2

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners ? Anyone using one ?

I'd like to see the responses also.  we use a parts washer,  Really get concerned with glass beads as the can get caught in bolt hole and oil passages.

Randy

1/16/2016 2:51 pm  #3

Re: Ultrasonic cleaners ? Anyone using one ?

I built a cradle the heads sit on so they are very close the the spray nozzles in the jet cleaner.
When laying on the rack in the bottom they don't really get the full pressure to blast off the crap.
I always dis-assemble before cleaning so the under spring areas get the full blast pressure as well.
Then flip the head for the chamber.
I use the very strong oakite turbo det powder and that seems to work very well and takes manual labour to a minimum. I tried a local shops US cleaner a few times thinking the same thing but for the cost it was no very good at making the heads look new again,
For the out side I use cast iron chips from the boring machines and brake machine in a blast cabinet, I only do the chamber and out side of the heads this way and blow the heads off before washing to avoid plugging any holes.
It does not imbed like glass beads do and is way faster then glass as well.

Soda blasting mat be a better way if you have a large volume of head work as it dissolves in the jet washer but does not remove heavy gooey crud well of fast enough to be a time saver.

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

Board footera