You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/23/2015 7:51 am  #1

Chevrolet crankshaft dowel pins .... solid, not split ?

Hey guys,
  Anyone know of a source for the old style solid Chevy crank dowel pins for 454's and 400's ?  The GM replacement is not a split type dowel like used on the one pc cranks.  I have a few customers that are "old school" and dont seem to understand that it does not really make a difference so I would like to see if I could find the old style ones.

Thanks,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

6/23/2015 10:34 am  #2

Re: Chevrolet crankshaft dowel pins .... solid, not split ?

Dura-Bond part # AD-679.  I have seen a ton of ext. balanced chevys put together without a dowel, the bolts line up any old way.  How can it get out of a shop without a dowel?  If it is an original crank, what happened to it?
Graig in Wyo

6/23/2015 7:34 pm  #3

Re: Chevrolet crankshaft dowel pins .... solid, not split ?

Thanks Graig for that part number. I have tried to locate them for years aftermarket shafts with no luck and GM never seems to have them available.

Seems that all the aftermarket crank manufactures have cheaped out on the extras that you would think would come witth a new part as part of a new installation.

That said when was the last time you seen a scat or eagle or whoevers crank that came with any keys or alignment dowel for the rear. While that may be there way of hoping that new parts will be used when installed but then how many guys use the old keys and don't even bother with the rear dowel.

I see it often and just shake my head because we all know given a choice the installer would even think twice about not lining up the hole correctly.
And the durabond finishing kits have a dowel sleeve but I have never been able to press it into the rear with out killing them because the hole is smaller then the alignment sleeve will alow to be installed

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

Board footera