You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/09/2015 2:08 pm  #1

Rottler seat and guide machines ? Anyone have one ?

Hey guys,
 I guess I am going to have to break down and invest in a new seat and guide machine in the near future. My old Peterson TCM25 is just not getting it any more, especially with the new heads. Takes me FOREVER to do agood job when cutting seats. 

So there really is not a lot of choices. Either find a nice used Sunnen or buy a new Rottler.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

6/17/2015 10:23 am  #2

Re: Rottler seat and guide machines ? Anyone have one ?

Insteresting I was talking with a old friend and this is what he said.       Yes if you have $100,000 handy. The Newen is the way to go if you could run it 24/7 to pay for it. The Serdi and the Rottler are pushing the limits of a comfortable monthly payment for me. Around 50,000 for Serdi and 42,000 for the Rottler. These are the 3 I broke it down to. Everything else doesn't have the years of seat cutting experience that Serdi and Newen have and as for Rottler, they simply build good equipment although I'm not sure of their expertise in this field. I have talked to all 3. I have also been looking into a seat cutting system. Just can't cut the payments yet. If you want the models of the Serdi and the Rottler I'll have to get to my notes.  

I hope it helps you Bill.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Caruso (6/17/2015 10:23 am)

6/22/2015 8:08 am  #3

Mike,
 Thanks for the comment.  Yes they are expensive but if you want to stay in this business for a while, you must have up to date equipment.  I did a set of Duramax diesel heads last week. Valve guides, valve job and resurface was $750  It took me the better part of two days to do the guide and seat work correctly with my old equipment.  I bet I could have finished them in 4 hours or so with the Rottler, maybe even faster.  So if I could get one more set of those heads each month, it would pay the payment and I would still be saving time that I could use to do other things.  Right now if someone called me to do another set I would probably turn them away just becasue of the hasle it was with my present equipment

Last edited by MrBill (6/22/2015 8:09 am)

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

6/22/2015 8:26 am  #4

Bill,
Correct we at AERA have been trying tell people to watch their time spent and dollars made.
You having done that and now can make the decision based on FACTS. HRS/$$ charged out.
Thanks for your repy as I hope it will help others too.
Mike

6/23/2015 8:12 pm  #5

Bill
I looked at rottler SG8  back in 07 when I got my new VGS 20 and at the time the big issues were being able to hold the head ridgid enough and paralell to the boring head end for end for ease of non adjustable valve train stuff.

The other thing was tooling compatability. I already had 1000's of dollars in tooling for .385 pilots and was not prepared to sell it off at pennies on the dollar paid.

Now that the original Sioux pilots are not longer available converting to the more common .375 top pilots is the way to got as there is a ton of new designs if drivers and rottler has now stepped up their game and has tooled up other key components of the machine for ease of compatability to make the up grade less painfull.

Their SG8 at the time did not have the room between the quill and seat to do some heads easily and again required their tooling but now I have seen what they have done with the changes to the machine and tooling and if I needed a replacement I would go with the rottler.
It has the best of both worlds now and can be used as either a dead pilot system or live pilot like a serdi.
The head fixture is far better then a serdi on a good day making it easy to keep all tye seats the same height and paralell to the deck surface as they use a fixture similar to the VGS 20.

I asked the rottler rep before I went sunnen about how cloce the fixture slide surface and the boring head track surface was to paralell and I was told then .010-.015 but it did not really make any difference because you could grind the valve tip to get the tip installed heights correct. Sunnen said as delivered the end to end difference would be no more then .001" and it was which I thing is the most important feature of the machine because the valve cover surface on alot of todays aluminum heads are machined paralell to the deck making mounting easier.

From memory the rottler has a T-slot to bolt the fixture to the bed for improved ridgidity when doing heavy cutting like enlarging for bigger valves or cutting seat pockets on iron heads. It also helps reduce vibrations causing chatter with respect to difficult valve seats. Some cut like butter some not so much.I have made some clamps for my VGS to do the same thing but some times wish the t-slots were built in to the bed.

My vote would be the Rottler but the machine size would need to be slightly larger like the SG9 if you get lots of diesel stuff like cummins or cat head work.

Last edited by Dave Conway (6/23/2015 8:13 pm)

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

6/24/2015 8:11 am  #6

Dave,
Great info I hope more people read.
Thanks,
Mike

6/24/2015 10:48 pm  #7

Forgot to mention that Rottler also has the best selection of carbide pilots for their machines as well as others in .0002 size increases.
They do not offer HSS pilots any longer but tooling can be up graded as they make drivers to fit any S+G machine and with the now common .375 top pilot size they have the best and largest inventory of pilots.
But be fore warned about the conversion from SAE sizing  to metric millimeters as there is minor differences as something gets lost in the conversion. Sort of like a crank that is ground .25 under and you use a -.010 bearing the clearance size you wanted differs 

Last edited by Dave Conway (6/24/2015 10:50 pm)

Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

6/25/2015 7:54 am  #8

Yes great tip on don't just do the MATH measure it!
Thanks

6/25/2015 12:52 pm  #9

Sedri uses the same style pilots but their size ordering is less complicated but they have a much small option list for their pilots compared to Rottler.
Less costly as well from what guys have told me but they dod interchage with eash other

Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

7/20/2015 3:31 pm  #10

Serdi and Newen use the same pilots and they have a crazy huge selection. Of course them carbides add up pretty quick. We have used a newen since 2003 and it still does a fantastic job. We average a big diesel or pair of gas engine heads a day at least with a lot of seat and guide work. Newen brought out their single point machine which is very impressive both in abilities and price.

Board footera