You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/30/2018 11:59 pm  #1

Heating the block?

I am working on an IH 269 BD. The engine is seized. My question is if I put ATF in the cylinders and heat the block would that create a tiny tolerance change between the piston, rings, and cylinder? Even if the tolerance gets tighter, in theory that should be enough to break the rust free and allow the ATF to work down the cylinder walls over time. 

5/02/2018 2:25 pm  #2

Re: Heating the block?

Why did it seize in the 1st place???
You may have other issues that will just require that the pistons just be driven out and replaced.

And even if you did sort of free them enough to get them out of the bores they will be junk anyway.
Those will just be something that you just replace. Not to mention the fact is the bores will be scored up bad enough anyway to need serious attention to even need a sleeve or a re-bore if they are all bad enough.

Its an engine where cutting corners is no worth the time and trouble if it goes bad again trying to save some screwed parts.
JMO

Dave C

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

5/04/2018 1:10 am  #3

Re: Heating the block?

That`s the thing, I don`t know for sure why it seized. I figured it was worth a shot to get it freed up anyway. Its going to need to be gone through, inspected, and rebuilt. Your rite cutting corners leads to more aggravation in the long run.

Board footera