You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/17/2016 1:25 am  #1

Babbitt to Bearing Shell Coversions

Hey guys,

I am doing a resto build on a 1949 GMC 216 L6 engine and need some info on what shell bearing sets are used to convert these rods from the original poured Babbitt bearings to common bearing shells. I can bore the originals to replace the Babbitt with the more common bearings half shell bearings but I can't seem to locate anything that will work with some modification to the Big ends of the rods.

As they want an arm and leg to re-pour and bore the stock rods with freight both ways to the US and back it will be well over $700. For that I would convert the rods to something else

I am also having trouble locating .010 main bearings as well.They seem to be available from a few places but they are aluminum bearings like the cheap King units and I would prefer to use a babbitt style bearing as this will be a museum piece and rarely driven and the concern that the aluminum bearings will be short lived.
Any leads or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Dave C

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

12/19/2016 10:09 am  #2

Re: Babbitt to Bearing Shell Coversions

Well, I've never done it.  Seems like I would have in 35 years, but no.  However, I always thought it was done with bearings in the catalog.  You have probably already checked these.  Clevite CB-416P for 2.437 housing bore or CB-503B for 2.404 housing bore.  Then either mill or hand work slots for the locating tabs.  Crank dia is same for both, but lengths are different.  The few of these I have done I sent the rods to EGGE in Cal. for re-babbit.

Graig in Wyo

Last edited by Graig (12/19/2016 10:10 am)

12/19/2016 11:56 am  #3

Re: Babbitt to Bearing Shell Coversions

Thanks Graig
I will look into the bearings availability 
Thanks for the lead

Dave

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

Board footera