You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2017 2:11 am  #1

I Need Your Support for a New Rotary HCCI Engine !

Fellow Engine Builders,

I am a retired Senior Engineering Fellow who, in order to keep from going crazy, undertook to create a new engine that addresses the weaknesses of the fabulous Wankel Rotary in my 3rd Gen RX-7. What I ended up with doesn't look much like a Wankel, but preliminary analysis indicates it out performs the Wankel and most other engines by a wide margin. It offers power density (3 HP per pound) and great fuel efficiency (45% with 0.300 lb/hr/HP BSFC) comparable to turbo fans. It's now patent pending both in the US and internationally (via submission under the Patent Cooperation Treaty or PCT).

I am writing because I need your support. I have entered my design in the "Create The Future" contest, and you can see an illustrated overview at the link posted below (or simply search for the title, "Hybrid Miller Cycle Rotary HCCI Engine for RQ-7 Class Drones"). As it stands, I'm losing to "free energy machines" ! :O

Note my submission specifically calls out unarmed surveillance drones and only makes brief mention to commercial applications. This is because the current administration wants to zero funding at DOE and ARPA-E where such technology is traditionally funded while simultaneously increasing defense spending.

The engine is intended to be very modular. At only 10" in diameter, a number of them can be easily mounted to drive a common shaft to generate whatever horsepower needed. It can also be used in distributed power applications where engines are located in different locations on a given platform. For example, one might be installed in the rear wheel of a motorcycle, on each wheel of an auto, on each corner of a heavy lift delivery drone, etc.

I'm obviously pretty enthused and hope you are too ! Unfortunately, I can't fund this myself and need to attract funding. A win in the "Create The Future" contest will be a good step in that direction. I would appreciate folks viewing my entry and voting for it if so inclined (note voting requires simple registration).

Please don't hesitate to ask questions and thank you for your support !

Rod 

Link: https://contest.techbriefs.com/2017/entries/aerospace-and-defense/8090

High Performance HCCI Rotary Engine Designer

7/09/2017 10:36 pm  #2

Re: I Need Your Support for a New Rotary HCCI Engine !

So are you looking for investors or more technical support??

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

7/10/2017 5:12 am  #3

Re: I Need Your Support for a New Rotary HCCI Engine !

Dave Conway wrote:

So are you looking for investors or more technical support??

Right now I'm just looking for votes in the contest. I have already referenced my submission in proposals submitted to various government agencies and hope to win a modest research proposal. The purpose of the proposed research at this point is simply to redo my analysis in the tools used by the HCCI Consortium at the Department of Energy. I didn't do this analysis myself because their tools are very complex; I will either have to spend a very long time coming up to speed on them or I will have to hire a consultant to do the analysis. The Phase I Study Contract ($150,000) would cover that cost and bring a wide range of experts on-board in support of my engine. Once the Phase I study is complete, I plan to submit a Phase II proposal for prototype build and test (max $1,000,000).

If I fail to obtain government funding, I will skip the KIVA analysis and move straight to critical experiments (subset of the design focusing on seals, heat loss, and fiction loss). 

My next path for funding will be Kickstarter, but I will need to set up a web-site emphasizing the green aspects of my motor in Low Temperature Combustion mode (in which its power reduces to around 30 HP and its power density to 0.9 HP per pound.. still very good for scooters, lawn tractors, residential power generation, etc.). 

If I fail to capture sufficient funding via Kickstarter, I will consider outside investors and/or licensing arrangements. I am not going to venture capitalists initially because the perceived risk of my venture is still high (analysis only), so they will want far too much equity. Ditto for the licensing folks... they will pay too little at this point.

I will definately need technical help along the way. Fortunately, my son is an experienced mechanical engineer, and my engine can be built on a small 5 axis machining center which I can buy for "only" $30,000 or so. The desire to build this on relatively cheap machining centers is, by the way, what limited the diameter to 10" and depth to under 7". My survey showed these dimensions are doable, and round bars of aluminum in 10" diameter aren't very expensive. 

Last edited by RodRico (7/10/2017 5:15 am)

High Performance HCCI Rotary Engine Designer

Board footera