You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/17/2017 11:59 am  #1

Block Bearing Housing Sizes?

When I want the housing bore size for a connecting rod, I go to the AERA Connecting Rod manual. Where do I go when I want a housing bore size for the main bearings in a block (ie: I want to line hone a block)? They are not in the Head & Block Manual.

Thanks

Last edited by rcull (1/17/2017 4:15 pm)

1/17/2017 1:41 pm  #2

Re: Block Bearing Housing Sizes?

Engine bearing catalogs, or AERA spec sheets.  I find almost every time that main housings, and cam housings, are on the big side of spec or .0005 over spec.
Graig in Wyo

Last edited by Graig (1/17/2017 1:42 pm)

1/18/2017 5:51 am  #3

Bob,

I typically go to one of my bearing catalogs first, then if there is any question I will double check it in Prosis.  To be honest with you I cant imagine having a modern automotive machine shop and not having Prosis. 

One thing I have found is that there are mistakes and it seems like if the size is wrong in one catalog it will be wrong in all of them, like they all copied the same incorrect information sometime in the past   If something does not seem right when comparing the actual part to what it says in the book I will do some more digging.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

1/22/2017 5:16 pm  #4

I found the same things with the printed material as with Pro-Sis that gaps or misprints were in several places but mostly in the same engine family or brand/make

And also watch out for different bearing size options. Most bearing suppliers offer bearings in both SAE and Metric sizes but .010 is not the same as .25mm and so on.A .010 bearings is not the same as a .25mm bearing.

Most printed material shows the journal or housing bore Min/Max spec along with the bearing sizes available. Be sure to be on the same page with your crank guy on which journal measurement you want him to use when grinding. I have been fooled a few time over the years when asking for a crank to be ground .010/.010 and ended up with .25mm bearings and vice versa and had more/less clearance then I wanted.

Most detailed information can be found on may web sites these days and while it is a good practice to measure the housing bore prior to machining them it will give you a starting point to work within the case of odd ball engines or older engines not commonly seen like 30's through 50's stuff as they were just learning how to build better more powerful engines.
Farm tractors are another area where check before is critical as so many things were cross bread back then and even today.

There is lots of engines like the european japanese stuff that specs seem to be a guarded secret again measure what you have before machining anything

Pro Power Engine & Machine
Victoria BC Canada
www.propowerengines.ca

1/31/2017 9:29 pm  #5

Dave Conway wrote:

but .010 is not the same as .25mm and so on.A .010 bearings is not the same as a .25mm bearing.

This is the first thing I check on any newer engine. What bearings are available and are they metric or sae.  The guy that grinds our cranks usually asks me too especially if its something he hasn't done before. 

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
www.enginerepairshop.com

Board footera